Let the water be your guide

maandag 20 juni 2011

The little Church of Spaarnwoude

I often paint this church, cause it has a lovely silhouette and a nice light colour.
A few months ago, i made a walk in the area, and did visit this little church, not that I go in, but you can walk around it, cause it is build on sort of a hillside, you have always a good look on this picturesque building.

The sun was low, so I decided to make a Contre Jour picture, David Curtis tries always to paint against the sun, cause his paintings, become more interesting that way he says!
Well if you know who David is, he is certainly right!
So this is my photo I took that day, its early in the year, so a low sun!

DSC07410

After a few preliminary sketches I decided to paint a misty scene, a first wash of Cobalt Blue and Burnt Sienna. Then a second wash for the church, same colours, plus a small amount of Light Red and Raw Sienna.
For the green I took Cobalt Turquoise, and Yellow Ochre, cause they are opaque colours, and would give me a bright green on this grey background.
The dark tree on the left is Neutral tint Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Umber, same as the fence!
I added a puddle and the fence reflections, and a figure with umbrella.
When dry i pre wetted the area’s I want reflections in, and made them!
Still wet I splattered some Turquoise in and Cadmium red dots!
With a razorblade I made the wire on the fence, and finally I made a few crows on the right!

1 opmerking:

  1. Hello, I've just found your blog from a comment that you left on David Bellamy's.

    I like your pure watercolour paintings and I will enjoy following your blog.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Soft light over the waterways

Qrt sheet Millford 300 grams cp #stcmill #Millford #saunderswaterford #dalerrowney